Yoga Teacher Training 300-hour Program
- A 200 hour Yoga Teacher training certificate from Mount Madonna Center OR
- For those holding a certificate from another school, we require that you attend additional programs which will introduce you to Mount Madonna’s unique style of training teachers. please email email@example.com to make arrangements.
Out of respect to the ancient traditions of yoga and to our teacher, Baba Hari Dass, we offer the classical teachings as they have been handed down for centuries. Our hope is to inspire others towards practice and teaching in this timeless, rewarding tradition. The 300 hour course continues the teaching and practice principles that we began in the 200 hour program.
This 300 hour course is designed to encourage your personal practice as well as your skills in teaching by:
- Increasing your exposure to the philosophies and methods of yoga,
- Strengthening your personal practice through deeper understanding and reflection.
- Offering opportunities to teach in a supportive environment – both theory and practices (asana pranayama, and meditation)
- Creating a learning community of peers to study, inquire and explore
Yoga is a system designed to bring us to realization of our higher essence or deeper spiritual selves. It is also a holistic system for health and well-being. It is a vast science and has many aspects. In this course, students will have exposure to various paths including Bhakti (Devotional) Yoga; Sacred Sound and Mantra Yoga; Hatha Yoga; and, at the foundation, our underlying emphasis on Ashtanga Yoga, the eight limbed system elucidated in Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras. Our core courses draw their theory from various scriptures including the Vedas, Upanishads, Bhagavad Gita, Hatha Yoga Pradipika, Siva Samhita and Gheranda Samhita. These source materials serve primarily as guides and supports for personal practice. The scriptures themselves declare that the wisdom of yoga is revealed and experienced best through regular practice.
Senior Teachers have been studying and practicing yoga for decades. All of our teaching faculty incorporate the words of our teacher, Baba Hari Dass, “Teach to Learn”. You will receive classes from over 20 Senior Teachers during the course of your studies as well as from other experienced instructors. See Teacher Bios.
Over three 8-day weeks over the course of a year, you will fully explore Ashtanga Yoga. After reviewing the basics, you will build a scaffold with the Yoga Sutras, Samkhya, Subtle Body theory, Ayurveda, Sanskrit and Mantra, Tantra, Ritual and Bhakti Yoga and Yoga Psychology. Then you will further your knowledge in each area through practice and student teaching. The Ashtanga Yoga system provides our foundation:
- Yama (disciplines) – as part of an intentional group of learners and teachers, we will practice the disciplines with each other, creating a community of educators. Through non-violent behavior, truthfulness, non-stealing, non-hoarding and sexual continence, we will support one another and create a safe learning environment.
- Niyama (observances) –cleanliness of body and purity of the mind, cultivated contentment, the giving up of our desires, self-inquiry and surrender of the ego… the observances will thread throughout our time together as we seek the true yoga of liberation.
- Asana (postures) - Reinforce the biomechanics and physiology of the Core poses, build upon the Ayurvedic principles of asana, explore advanced teaching methods and sequencing, assess different body capacities and learn how to work with individuals.
- Pranayama (breath expansion/control) – Learn intermediate pranayama practices, explore both breath retention and Raj Yoga pranayama techniques.
- Pratyahara (sense withdrawal) – Use ancient techniques to withdraw the senses and quieten the mind. As we cross the bridge from external to internal practices, our personal experience is necessary to understand what we read and learn.
- Dharana (concentration) – Explore a variety of concentration techniques through practice, study, self reflection and deep contemplation.
- Dhyana (meditation) – Explore the neurobiological effects of meditation and learn how to teach meditation to a wide variety of students.
- Samadhi – Explore the Yoga Sutras scripture through chanting, study of commentaries, experiential practice and Vedic ritual. Focus on understanding the most subtle limb, superconscious trance.
|6:15 – 8:15||Practice (pranayama and meditation); instruction of new methods|
|8:20 – 9:00||Breakfast|
|9:30 – 11:30||Theory Class (Samkhya, Subtle Body, Ayurveda)|
|11:30 – 12:30||Asana Practice|
|12:30 – 1:30 p.m.||Lunch|
|2:00 – 5:00 p.m.||Asana (theory and experiential)|
|5:00 – 6:00 p.m.||Dinner|
|6:30 – 8:30 p.m.||Theory class (Introduction to Tantra, Yoga Sutras, Bhakti Yoga)|
This program is registered with the Yoga Alliance and provides 300 hours of study which layer upon your prior YTT 200 certification. Of the 300 hours, 250 hours are programmed over one year in three weeklong sessions. The remaining 50 hours of electives are to be completed at Mount Madonna through one retreat and an approved workshop. (Mount Madonna offers four retreats annually.) In certain cases an independent study project can be arranged with the program coordinator. The cost of the electives is NOT included in the tuition, meals and lodging listed below.
When you satisfactorily meet the hourly requirements, you will receive a certificate of completion at the 300 hour level.
The 250 hours are divided into three 8-day weeks, required.
- The balance of 50 hours is available at Mount Madonna Center through approved workshops, retreats and/or independent study projects arranged with the program coordinator at a separate cost. You must discuss your electives with the YTT 300 Yoga Program Director in advance.
The tuition listed below is for the required program modules. Tuition for electives is on a course-by-course basis. Please note that all fees for Mount Madonna Center programs have one fee for tuition and additional fees for housing and meals.
MEALS AND LODGING FEES:
Per Day Cost
|Own Tent or Vehicle||$51|
|Double with Bath||$111|
|Single with Bath||$155|
|* because housing availability may vary for each weekend of the monthly program, per day fees are listed|
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Tuition covers the 250 hours in the 3-week series; all electives are separate.
- Fees for electives are on a course-to-course basis. They are not included in the above tuition fees.
- Fees for MMC retreats and MMC Weekend Programs vary. Please refer to Mount Madonna Center Housing and Fees.
- Fees for retreats offered by rental groups, see their websites, as listed above under Weekend/Elective Programs.
- Independent Study. Tuition is $12 per independent study hour for first 25 hours and $10 per hour from 26-50 hours.
- Scholarships available. Download scholarship information and scholarship application.
Email your interest to firstname.lastname@example.org and fax a copy of your YTT200 certificate from a Registered Yoga School (Yoga Alliance approved) to 408-847-2683, attention Kamalesh. For those holding a certificate from another school, we require that you attend additional programs which will introduce you to Mount Madonna’s unique style of training teachers. Please email email@example.com to make arrangements.
Deposit: $500 US is due with registration.
- Prior to April 1st– the deposit less a $100 administrative fee is refundable
- April 1st or later– the deposit is forfeited.
Kamalesh – YTT300 coordinator
Mail: Mount Madonna Center
445 Summit Road
Watsonville, CA 95076